Life on the farm changes completely with the seasons, and so do the crops that grow, the trees that fruit, the pollinators that fly, the birds that sing. We learn to live with the cycles of Nature. Here’s a (partial) account of farm activities in different seasons:
Spring-Summer (February to June):
- Planting seasonal summer vegetables in the garden: Brinjal, Tomato, Chillies, Capsicum, Raddish, Squash, Pumpkin, Lettuce, etc
- Harvesting Winter Crop of Wheat, Barley, Masoor Dal, Garlic, Onion etc.
- Sowing spring crop of maize
- Making firelines for managing summer forest fires
- Making lots of compost
- Maintainence of Mud Buildings- Plastering, flooring.
- Planting Turmeric, Ginger, Taro gaderi.
- Preparing Fields for sowing monsoon crops
- Preparing for the rains
- Harvesting spring maize crop
Monsoon (July to September):
- Sowing of monsoon crops: Diverse varieties of dals, pulses, and millets. Mixed farming and baranaja system.
- Planting of fruit trees- mango, litchi, guava, banana, avocado, jackfruit, and more on selected fields
- Planting oak, bamboo and other broad-leaf trees (for fodder) on farm periphery and the forest
- Cutting lots of grass, (and lots of indoor time!)
- Planting coriander dhaniya, mustard laayi, fenugreek methi, Raddish.
Autumn-Winter (October to January):
- Planting seasonal vegetables- peas, raddish, carrots, Spinach paalak, etc.
- Clearing Monsoon weeds
- Building maintainence after monsoon
- Harvesting Turmeric, Ginger, gaderi
- Harvesting monsoon crop of dals, pulses and millets
- Preparing fields for sowing winter crops
- Sowing winter crop of wheat, barley, masoor dal, etc.
- Winter planting of trees- Apples, Peach, Plum, etc
We request for a minimum stay of 32 days for volunteers. We greatly appreciate volunteers/students who would like to be with us for one entire season and experience farm life more fully, harvest what they sow, and get to learn/share a lot more.